Friday, July 2, 2010

July 2, 2010


On a cool morning, with mist coming off the water, it looked more like late August than early July. But it was a fabulous day around Lake Wicwas, and we took a hike up to the White Mountain Ledge where we had beautiful views of the Franconia Range, the Osceolas, and Mt. Chocorua.




The spring flowers are gone now, but the summer blooms and berries are quickly taking their place. The Whorled Loosestrife are blooming, and the Bunchberries are brightening the forest floor with their spashes of red. I even found some Shinleaf blooming.

Whorled Loosestrife
Shinleaf


The deer are becoming more bold. This morning I watched one deer from 30 yards away, who just stood and stared at me. After a while it started snorting and stamping its front hoof. Eventually it walked slowly away, clearly annoyed at me, snorting all the way back into the woods. Later, two deer just watched me walk past them about 100 yards away. Earlier in the year they would have bounded off into the woods at the mere detection of my motion.

No comments:

Post a Comment