Before we look at Beech Leaf Disease let's get an update on our loon chick, Pip.
| Pip looks large when alone, but seen next to an adult, still has more growing to do. |
Pip spends a lot of time alone these days, though at least one parent - probably the female - is still on the lake. At this point, the tides have turned: instead of Pip floating on the surface while mom fishes, it's now Pip that spends most of the time diving while mom soaks up the warm September rays. I have to assume that Pip is successful with many dives, but still petitions mom for food when they're together.
I learned from the Loon Preservation Committee's most recent newsletter that juvenile loons are considered fledged when their primary (flight) feathers have grown to the point they can fly, which occurs at 11 to 13 weeks of age. Thus our northern pair has now successfully fledged another loon, though I haven't observed Pip flying yet.
Now to beech leaf disease. On a visit to the Hamlin-Eames-Smyth town forest last week, I came upon a large infestation of the nematode that causes beech leaf disease (BLD).
![]() |
| Leaves affected by the BLD nematoad. |
Now let's move on to more pleasant sights seen this week, including fall wildflowers.
![]() |
| New England Asters |
Asters, goldenrod, woodland sunflowers, and many other fall plants are important food for pollinators for their winter survival.
![]() |
| Woodland sunflower with a honeybee, which is not a native insect. |
![]() |
| Nodding Ladies Tresses |
![]() |
| Bumblebee on Goldenrod |
And how about this great photo of a Gray Fox a friend and colleague from my working days at BAE Systems sent me:
He captured this photo with a trail camera, and it looks like a couple of this adult's offspring came back at night to romp around the area.
Thank you JH for sharing these!I'll close with another video, this one of a bumblebee working the goldenrod.
The animals are starting to build up their reserves for the coming winter!.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)





Thanks, Scott! I always look forward to your posts!
ReplyDelete