Sunday, June 30, 2024

June 30, 2024: Summer Weed Watch Tour

The reminder came out this week that it's time for the early summer weed-watcher inspection of the lake to make sure no invasive weeds snuck in over the late fall or early spring.  The lake is divided into nine sectors that include the entire perimeter of the lake as well as the islands which a team of 12 volunteers join forces to inspect twice a year.  I did my survey on a calm morning with the sun low enough in the sky to minimize reflections, helping me to see down into the water.  The good news:  I saw nothing to be concerned about.  I did however, see plenty of pretty sights on my paddle.

A peaceful morning weed-watching on Lake Wicwas.
The White Water Lilies are always a favorite.
White Water Lily (Nymphaea odorata)

I recognize many of the aquatic plants but there are always several I have to look up, such as this one: 
Pickerel Weed (Pontederia cordata)
I recognized these large arrow-shaped leaves as a common plant around the lake, but without the purple flowers that are about to erupt from that elongated bud, I didn't identify them right away as Pickerel Weed.

This next submerged plant always warrants a close look:

It's one of six species of native milfoil in New Hamphsire, easily confused with the invasive Variable Milfoil.

My sector of the lake just happens to include the nesting site of the northern loon pair which I was able to quietly paddle past at a distance such it didn't even notice me.


Now that we're on to animals, here are a couple of nocturnal visitors that stopped by this week.  First, Mr. Stinky triggered the light on the motion detector.
Striped Skunk

It's a good reminder to make plenty of noise when heading out after dark.  A few hours later, along came Rocky.  
Common Raccoon

There are more animals out there lurking around in the dark of night than just the ones we hear through open windows on hot summer nights.

I'll close with one more animal, one that hopped right up to greet me as I walked up to the back door.

This lively pickerel frog jumped up out of the grass right onto the doorstep - I must have startled it.  But then it just as quickly leaped back down into grass, but paused long enough for me to take its picture.  Sometime nature cooperates!


7 comments:

  1. Than you…..Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are the weeds getting to invasive?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of aquatic plants in the lake and their expansion is part of the maturing of a lake and will contribute to its eventual eutriphication. But it's also part of why there is so much life here.

      Delete
    2. How long until eutrophication? Does that mean it will eventually be unusable for boating/kayak/etc?

      Delete
    3. Those are great questions. Yes, it will eventually be unusable for boating, but how long it takes depends on how well we take care of it. If we allow increasing amounts of nitrogen, phosphorus, road salt and silt to enter the lake it could happen within 50 to 100 years just from cyanobacteria. With good care it should last centuries more, although even then the marshes and shallows will fill in, becoming bogs. You can see this happening now if you paddle through the narrow passages that 50 years ago were much more open.

      Delete