Sunday, August 22, 2021

August 22, 2021: Curious Bambi

This week provided two entertaining wildlife interactions for me, both on Friday morning.  First, on my morning walk, a deer dashed out of a thicket and ran down the trail right in front of me - it was gone in a flash.  Seconds later a second deer leaped out, and this time I was ready.

Deer number two.

Then, right behind that came a third deer - a little guy!

Bambi needs to eat more - look at the rib cage!

I had seen the fawn earlier this summer when it was small and spotted, and I'm sure this is the same one.  But this Bambi was curious.  Rather than following mom down the trail, Bambi stopped to see what was causing the disruption in the family's breakfast.

Deer are inherently inquisitive, and as I stood motionless, the deer just couldn't resist investigating the situation.  It turned to face me.

It stomped its hoof a few times trying to elicit a reaction from the intruder.


I stood my ground, so it gave a loud snort and bounded off to join the rest of the family.  


I always enjoy watching the young animals grow and learn about the world around them, and I was about to get another opportunity.

A few hours later during a paddle on the lake around lunch time I found our loon family out having a picnic on a beautiful summer day.  It had been so long since I'd seen the father that I thought maybe he had already left for the year, but there he was.  I don't know who brought up the first fish, but it went to Coco.  

It was lively one,

and Coco lost it,

but it was quickly caught again, and this time it was devoured.

The next fish was brought up by dad (I could tell by the bands), and back to his usual tricks, it was a good size sunfish.

It was presented to Coco a couple of times, 

but each time she passed on it.  So dad gave up, passed the fish off to mom and went to dive for more.
Jimmy, in the background, ignores the whole scene.
That's a big fish.

 
After tiring it out for over two minutes (determined from time stamps on the photos) mom brought it over it to Jimmy.  

Jimmy wasn't hesitant - he assessed it for just a moment, then decided he could manage it.


And somehow stretched out his neck enough to get it down.  

Or least get it stuck in his neck.

That ought to hold him over until dinner time.


With a healthy, high protein seafood diet they sure are growing up fast.


I'll end this lengthy post with a gorgeous green dragon fly called a pondhawk.  
Eastern Pondhawk  (Erythemis simplicicollis)


There's a story here too, but that's for another day.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Scott. I really appreciate your sharing photos and information about life at Wicwas. Your photographs and on-point descriptions are world class. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you - I'm glad you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete