Sunday, August 16, 2020

August 16, 2020: In Search of the Elusive Purple Bladderwort

During a changing of the guard at the Wicwas boat ramp, the incoming Lake Host told me of his sighting of purple bladderwort on the lake.  A few weeks ago I wrote about the carnivorous Greater Bladderwort with its delicate yellow flower and its high-speed carnivorous abilities, but I had never seen a purple one.  He told me where he found it, so yesterday I went in search of it, though it took me quite a while as I had a series of distractions along the way.  But after paddling along the section of marshy shore where directed, and just as I thought I had missed it because I was heading back out towards open water, I looked down and there it was.

Purple Bladderwort (Utricularia purpurea)

A large patch of purple bladderwort was there to greet me.  

One interesting bit of research on these aquatic plants indicates that this species of bladderwort may be adapting away from carnivorous to a more mutualistic diet with algae and zooplanton taking up residence in its bladders.  [Ref:  Richards, J.H. (2001), Bladder fundtion in Utricularia purpurea (Lentibulariaceae): Is carnivory important?, American Journal of Botany, 88(1): 170-176

So maybe it's now omnivorous rather than strictly carnivorous, but at any rate, it's a pretty flower.  

If you want to see it, paddle gently into the northwest part of the large area of lily pads just north of where the Hamlin conservation area ends - the above picture will help guide you.  Thank you RB for the guidance!  


One of the many distractions along my quest was the large group of loons that has been on the lake for days now.

An asylum of seven loons (note the line of geese in the far distance).

Many people have reported sightings of this asylum, which numbered as many as eight one day as they sailed in formation past our house.

It's not uncommon at this time of year for loons that don't have chicks to travel together, visiting different lakes.  Perhaps they're looking for possible new homes, or just doing some summer sight-seeing.

Another distraction was this osprey which was doing its morning preening high in a tree on a small island in the north end of the lake.

Those talons will come into play in a few minutes.


A couple of Great Blue Heron also slowed me down, one also enjoying the bladderwort while fishing, the other creeping along the shoreline, probably in search of frogs.

Later the same day my brother took this video of possibly the same bird walking through the forest at my parents cottage.  I do marvel at their leg mechanics.  Thanks for sharing Glen!

Yet another distraction was a herd of four deer that went bounding through the forest as I paddled by - an impressive sight on a quiet morning.  Later, as I drifted quietly, I saw two of them go dashing by me again.  They were both young fawns, chasing each other back and forth through the woods, having a grand time, running, making high leaps over trees and bushes.  For a moment one of them stopped to munch on some leaves just long enough for me to take one quick picture before its sibling (or friend) came dashing by, and the two were off again.  


My final, though actually the first distraction, was simply the sunrise.


This post has already gone on too long, but I must share one more nature moment.  Last night we were out enjoying the sunset, as were many others, and we saw at least two osprey out looking for their dinner.  We watched one make an unsuccessful dive into the water, then circle back around for a second try, also apparently unsuccessful, because it then came back for yet a third attempt, and this time, a hit.  

Circling around for pass number three.

Grappling hooks deployed.

Contact!



Got it.

And we're off.

A quick shake to reduce ballast.

And, dinner time!

Sorry for the long post, but that was too much fun not to share.  All in all, another captivating day on the New Hampshire lakes.



No comments:

Post a Comment